Sunday, May 31, 2009

Codypalooza...A Tribute To the Best of the Best! (With Honors)

This is Cody. Cody is our friend. For some of us, he is our best friend. (reference to awesome song by QUEEN--minus Adam Lambert) For some of us, he ain't heavy, he's my brother. (reference to song by the Osmonds, including Donny) For some of us, he is the best thing that ever happened to Sunday night card games, garbage removal, and continual laughing at my quirky sense of humor. (sort of reference to song by Gladys Knight and the Pips. She's no Beyonce', but we will make it work for now.) Since Cody will be graduating right along with Cassidy on June 1st, we wanted to let him know just a few of the things that we like about him! (Reference to song by The Romantics).

CS: He makes me laugh. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Whether we are talking about High School Musical, man hands, or economics jokes, there is no scarcity of laughter between us. Even on my darkest days, he makes me smile. He can turn my frowns upside down.

WS: He is R-E-L-A-B-L-E. He will always be drinking Mountain Dew, the devil's Elixir. He will always be tall, like Micheal Phelps. To quote my cousin, "I know what I like, and I like the tall one!" He will always be wearing good clothes and smelling like Hollister (Ewww!) He will always be giving his opinion, whether it be on American Idol, Heroes, or Zac Efron. He will always be keeping track of his brother. He will also always be keeping track of my sister. Someone needs to while I'm away.

JMS: He is considerate. He has been raised to be the perfect gentleman. If he were any more gentlemanly, we would have to call him Rhett Butler and get him a southern accent. Frankly, my dear, this boy has manners that would make any mother proud. Including adopted mothers.

CS: We enjoy scary movies and tv shows together. I tease him about his crushes on Nicole Kidman and Hayden Panitierre. He tolerates my love of Milo Ventimiglia and Zac Efron. We have similar tastes in music, although he loves Taylor Swift and I love and WILL MARRY David Archuleta. Maybe then I can actually introduce him to the singer of that silly song about Romeo and Juliet and he can stop crying those teardrops on his guitar!

WS: He does things without being asked and without complaining. He is considerate. He cooks us macaroni and cheese. He taught us how to make Ramen in the microwave. He takes out our garbage and picks up our mail. He gives us rides and goes to Wal-Mart for us. He is our own personal concierge. When he is in college, our mother will have to start working around the house again.

JMS: He is a good brother to Tyson, and a surrogate brother to Eli. He plays Nancy Drew with Eli. He gently reminds Eli to do his homework and be nice to his sisters and help his parents. Eli thinks Cody walks on water. A day doesn't go by without Eli asking, "Is Cody coming over today?" When Cody and Cassidy and Whitney are all gone, Eli will probably need an intervention. Or a Mountain Dew. Or a letter from Santa. Ho! Ho! Ho!

CS: "I'll Be There" by The Jackson 5 was written especially for Cody. No matter what is going on in my life, Cody is always there. On days when my world feels like it is falling apart he can make it seem like there is nothing else important at that particular moment except my feelings. On days when I am so happy I feel like I can conquer the world, Cody is right there to support me. I know that no matter what and no matter where, if I just call out his name, "he'll be there."

WS: I can still like him despite the fact that he never really read any of the books he was assigned in his English classes over the last three years EXCEPT the 2 most important ones, To Kill A Mockingbird and Rebecca. Thankfully, if he ever chooses to be a Southern lawyer or a wealthy estate-owning British man, we will know he is prepared.

JMS: He tolerates my quirky sense of humor, and usually understands it as well. Whether we are driving in the car and I blurt out, "To the left, to the left", or shout out "Oh, my gosh, Becky!" he always laughs. I'm not really a comedian, but I sometimes play one at home, and Cody is one of my biggest fans. If he will always remember to laugh his way through life, he, too, will find that humor, is 'irreplaceable'.

Our tribute will now come to an end. It's not much, but it's what we have at 11:58 p.m. on the night before you graduate. Thank you Cody for sharing yourself with us. Thank your family for sharing you, too. Thanks especially to Deedra, for "raising you up"(reference to Josh Groban song) to be such an amazing and awesome young man. You may not know it, but "we are strong when we are on your shoulders. You raise us up to more than we can be."

1 comment:

KJ said...

oh, we thing cody is the cat's pajamas.