Friday, June 19, 2009

How Firm a Foundation...

When we lived in Utah they announced the building of the Mt. Timpanogos temple. It was an exciting time for everyone in our area. We knew that we would all have a chance to be a part of this amazing experience. Each child in our primary was given a picture of the new temple to place in their rooms and our girls were no exception. All primary children were also given the chance to paint their names on rocks to be buried in the foundation of the temple. Whitney put her name on one rock. Cassidy put her name on another rock. Then we waited and waited while the temple was built. We would take long Sunday drives up the road to see how it was progressing. Whitney would always remind us that her name was a part of this temple; 'her temple.'The day the temple was finished was so exciting. Phillip was able to act as a security guard; I played the organ during one of the open house sessions. Whitney was old enough to sing during the open house with the children from our ward. We took our girls several times to the tours and each time they were in awe with the beauty and spirit they experienced there. When Whitney and I attended the dedication on a cold October afternoon, she expressed a sincere desire to return someday to this temple; 'her temple.'
This week that goal became a reality. We made the trip to Utah to visit her doctor one last time before the mission and took a few hours out of our day to attend the Mt. Timpanogos Temple together. It was such an honor and privilege to be seated next to my beautiful daughter during the session. I'm sure her heart remembered back to a time when she was a young girl, excited to be inside a temple for the first time, awed by it's beauty and touched by the spirit. Now, as she prepares to go forth and serve, I am reminded that, just like that rock with her name on it beneath the Mt. Timpanogos temple, she has a very firm foundation. She has lived her life preparing to go where the Lord wants her to go. She has remained worthy and faithful and firm in her commitment. She will be greatly missed by so many here in Idaho, but the people of Houston will be blessed even greater by her presence. When the days seem long and the work seems hard, I hope she will remember these words: "Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed, For I am they God and will still give thee aid. I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand. Upheld by my righteous hand." Sister Sorensen, go forth and serve. Remember your firm foundation and you'll do just fine!

7 comments:

Mrs. B said...

Yesterday I sat with my own daughter in the Salt Lake Temple, what a blessing. My heart was so full.
Your post lifted my spirits so much, thanks!

Front Porch Friend. said...

nothing better sister. nothing better!

Gramsie Gail said...

Nice job Joy. Give our best to Whitney.

SHANNON said...

Congratulations, Whitney. How exciting.

What fun that must of been to go to the temple together right before she leaves...that is awesome

Sandy said...

I know just how you felt... what a wonderful feeling. I've said for years now that there is no better feeling than being in the temple with your children. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Joy, do you mind if I use your story this coming Sunday at a ward conference I am attending? It fits perfectly with my message.

Give my love and hugs to Whitney. I am so, so, so happy for her and all of your family. :) She will be an amazing missionary.

Karalee said...

I'm thinking of you today :)

matriarch said...

So eloquently written, Joy!! You are a 'wordsmith' of the first order. Your writings ALWAYS give me pause for reflection. You truly have a gift and you unselfishly share it with others.
Love you.