Monday, April 14, 2008

98 years and counting...Isn't she lovely!

Today my Grandma Ricks turns 98 years old. Saturday we went to a party to celebrate her wonderful life. It's amazing to me when I reflect on everything that she's done in almost 100 years of living. She went to nursing school with my other grandma. We have called on her for years when we have questions about ailments and injuries. She raised 8 children while living on a farm. She has the greenest thumb of anyone I know and can grow beautiful, exotic flowers. When I was little, she had a field full of every variety of iris on earth. Playing around those iris was like being in the poppy field on THE WIZARD OF OZ. When I went to visit she always let me make and decorate cakes for my uncles, but she would never try them. She's very health-conscious and eats like a bird. When we lived in Lehi, we took her out to dinner and she couldn't decide if it was okay to eat the olives on her salad because they 'would end up on her hips', but she let my dad buy her a milkshake for dessert.


When we moved to Idaho Falls she stayed with Whitney and Cassidy while Phillip and I went to a convention. They got up in the morning to get ready for school and she had left her false teeth in the bathroom ! It freaked them out! Eli loved to visit her at the farm because she always had at least 10 stray cats that she was mothering. She is also one of the most religious people I know. Her example to me is amazing! I hope I can live as long as she has, with a life as full as hers has been. I can't ask for much more than that.

1 comment: