Friday, April 17, 2009

Oooh...I hear laughter in the rain...

Isn't it great to be a boy? Seven comes with all sorts of fun. Learning. Exploring. Experimenting. Laughing. Lots of Laughing. The other day it was pouring down rain and the boys were outside getting soaked to the bone. It was our first real rain storm of the spring season and it brought with it a seven year-old boy's favorite pastime. Playing with worms! Worms in the gutter and on the grass. Worms on the driveway. Worms on my car and in my son's hands. They spent almost an hour chasing each other with the worms, discovering what happens when a worm gets cut in half, and even throwing them at each other. If Eli ever needs a part-time job maybe he can dig nightcrawlers and sell them to fishermen. My brother and I did it one summer and earned quite a bit of money. That was years ago, though, and I haven't touched another worm since. Now it's Eli's turn to touch those worms. Don't you just love the Circle of Life?

3 comments:

whitty said...

He really is a first grade boy. Gross. I remember all the boys doing that in first and second grade during recess, but I guess I didn't imagine Eli doing it, although I should have. And, just so you know, I myself have dissected a segmented worm.

Elizabeth said...

Cute picture. Reminds me of Jarom at the same age who came into the house one day and said "Mom, I have something for you". Then he dug around in his pocket, pulled out string, pennies, dirt clods, etc. then finally....from the very depths.....pulled out a dead earthworm and handed it to me. Best present I ever got. =)

KJ said...

eli is a great little boy. I can hardly wait for M to present me with my first creepy-crawly whatever, so long as it isn't a spider or beetle. So far, he's gifted my pine cones he found on the ground at the park. He told me they were flowers. They are on my dresser.